Things To Do In Philadelphia Zoo
Philadelphia Zoo is the largest zoo in the United States. The zoo has almost 42 acres of land and is located in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is the second largest zoo in the US and has around 1,300 animals including lions, bears, leopards, tigers, elephants and much more.
It was the only institution of its kind in the New World when it first opened its gates on July 1, 1874, to more than 3,000 visitors. In its early days, the zoo housed 200 mammals including buffalo, deer, wolves, foxes, bears, monkeys, along with 67 bird species and 15 reptiles. In 1785, John Penn built The Solitude, a mansion housing reptiles and small mammals. Guests were transported to and from the zoo by horses that stayed in a carriage house located at the entrance. In its present form, the zoo grounds replicate a Victorian garden atmosphere.
- Lion house : The lion house is the most popular attraction at the Philadelphia Zoo. You can find lions in their natural habitat along with their cubs.
- Children’s Discovery House : This is a great place where kids can learn how animals behave in their natural habitats. It has several interactive exhibits to keep children busy for a while.
- Bear exhibit : This is the perfect place to see the bears up close. You will get to see the bears interacting and playing with their food.
- Polar bear exhibit : This is another popular spot to get a glimpse of these cute animals. The polar bears in the exhibit are very well taken care of and can be touched by visitors.
- Elephant house : The elephant house is the largest exhibit in the Philadelphia Zoo. You will get to see the elephants roaming in their natural habitat.
- Reptile house : The reptile house is a beautiful place to visit. Here you will get to meet a variety of reptiles like snakes, turtles, lizards and tortoises.
- Penguin and otter exhibit : This is one of the best places to see penguins in their natural habitat. It is an amazing experience to watch these adorable animals waddling on the icy waters.
- Pied Flycatcher house : It is one of the best spots to learn about the pied flycatcher. You will get to listen to the bird’s songs and enjoy the scenic view of the exhibit.
- Gorilla exhibit : Gorillas are a big attraction at the Philadelphia Zoo. This is the place where you can see these gentle giants up close and learn about their behavior.
- Koala exhibit : This is a great spot to meet koalas in their natural habitat. You will be amazed to see these fuzzy and friendly marsupials up close.
- Panda exhibit : You will get to see these little giants walking around the exhibit. The pandas are kept in the largest exhibit at the Philadelphia Zoo.
- Cheetah house : The cheetah exhibit is the place to see the fastest animal in the world. It is a wonderful experience to see these amazing cats run around.
- Komodo dragon exhibit : It is the only exhibit in the US that has Komodo dragons. These large lizards are the only ones in the exhibit that can jump as high as 3 meters.
- Birds of paradise exhibit : The birds of paradise exhibit is a spectacular place to see beautiful birds in their natural habitat.
- Elephant Seal House : The elephant seal house is the home for a colony of elephant seals. It is a great place to observe the seals and learn about their behavior.
- Wolf house : The wolf house is one of the most popular exhibits in the Philadelphia Zoo. Here you will get to see the wolves in their natural habitat.
- Primate exhibit : The primate exhibit is a beautiful place to see various primates like baboons, lemurs, orangutans, macaques, spider monkeys, and gibbons.
- Penguin exhibit : The penguin exhibit is the perfect place to see a few of these cute and fluffy birds.
- African lion house : The African lion house is the best place to see these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat.
- Cheetah house : You will get to see the cheetahs up close in their natural habitat. This is the perfect place to learn about the habits and behavior of the cheetah.
- Penguin exhibit : It is the only place to see the penguins up close. The penguin exhibit is the perfect place to observe the fascinating creatures.
- Zoo tour : If you are visiting the zoo for the first time, then you can do the tour. You will get to see everything that is available in the zoo and you will learn a lot of things about the animals. The tour is free and you can do it once you reach the zoo.
The zoo is open from 9.30 AM to 5 PM and you can come to the zoo at any time. But, you need to go before the closing time to avoid waiting in the long lines. It takes around 2 hours to explore the whole zoo and if you want to make the best of your visit, then you must take the tour.